Welcome to the Safeguarding Online page of the Episcopal Diocese of Western Louisiana! Our diocese takes matters of safety seriously, especially keeping our children, youth, and adults safe from all forms of sexual misconduct while they are at church or participating in church activities.
For this reason, we require abuse prevention training for all paid staff as well as anyone else who works with children and youth. All training is provided through Safeguarding Online™, which you can access anytime, from anywhere that you have a high-speed Internet connection.
In November of 2017, we announced that we would begin implementing new Safeguarding policies and requirements. As of October 31, 2018, all diocesan organizations should be in full compliance with the Safeguarding training and background screening requirements that are outlined in our Safeguarding Policies. You should now be using the training module guidelines specified in this Training Modules Chart.
All churches, schools, and Camp Hardtner are required to designate a Safe Church Minister (click here for list of Safe Church Ministers). These individuals are trained to help you set up a Safeguarding account and fulfill the training and background screening requirements. Contact your local Safe Church Minister when you have any questions about Safeguarding training or background screening.
- Click here to set up a Safeguarding account. You will be asked to enter a registration code. The code for our diocese is: diocesewla318.
- After you enter the registration code and click submit, you will be taken to another page. Fill out the form there and click the link to enroll. Print the page or write down your user login and password for future reference.
- To begin training immediately, click the first link.
Already Have an Account:
- Click here to begin training.
- Enter your user login (this is your first initial followed by your last name--no spaces in between).
- Enter your password (this is the 4-digit number you selected followed by la). If you have forgotten your password, follow the instructions to have your password emailed to you or contact your Safe Church Minister. Please do not create a new account.
- Press Submit.
- Click on the name of the training module you want to take. If you are not sure which modules you are required to take, click on the Training Modules Chart to find out.
Renew Training (required every 3 years after you have met initial requirements):
- Log in to your Safeguarding account.
- Complete these training modules: Abuse Prevention Refresher, Your Policies.
Documents to View or Download:
Background Checks and Applying for Positions
Background Check Policy
Background Check Chart
Praesidium Service Agreement
What to Expect
Praesidium Price Chart
Sample Application Form - Employees
Sample Information Form - Volunteers
Training Youth Volunteers Under the Age of 18
Guidelines for Training Youth Volunteers
DWLA Safeguarding Policies for Youth Volunteers
Recognizing and Reporting Abuse of Children (Youth Version)
Code of Conduct for Youth Volunteers
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is there a cost to be trained?
How do I know if I need to be trained?
Please review this chart: Safeguarding Training Chart
In addition to this training, do I also need a background check?
Yes. In addition to this training, a criminal record check and sex offender registry check may be required in any state where the trainee has resided during the prior seven years. A DMV check may also be required. Background checks should be renewed every six years. For more information, contact the Safeguarding Minister at your organization.
Please review this chart: Safeguarding Background Check Chart
How do I report an incident?
Please click here for more information.
If I began working as a staff member under the old Safeguarding policies and have not had a background check, do I still need one?
Not right away. Initially, current staff will be “grandfathered in” and will not need to have a background check. However, six years following the full implementation of the new Safeguarding policies (i.e., October 31, 2024), these staff members must undergo a background screening and will be required to have one every six years thereafter (or at whatever interval is required for the position they hold).